Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harmony

One of my favorite books is called "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. While this book has been around for a while (at least 12 years I think) and was featured on Oprah at one time, it has, until a year and a half ago, eluded my attention. The author writes in the foreword that,

"This book is organized as a walk through the year, beginning on New Year's Day. But if this book finds its way to you in April, don't think you can't use it....each month ruminates on finding your authenticity in your daily round: the domestic arts, work, beauty, fashion, and personal pursuits that bring contentment."
I admit I don't read it every day but the times I do pick it up I find I can't put it down and today is one of those days. I can relate to so much of what the author writes and I share a little of that which has jumped out to my heart today.
July focuses on harmony. She writes:
"I desperately need to restore harmony in my life, to find balance again between the inner and the outer, the visible and the invisible. Today the strings on this instrument are very taut. I've got to loosen them so that they don't snap. Maybe you feel the same way. Maybe the pitch of pressure is to high, the tone in your voice too sharp, the decibels of the demands on you deafening."

I certainly feel the same way! I can say that that little paragraph speaks volumes and I really need to work on restoring some harmony into my life. If I don't slow down and smell the roses, give my kids a little more attention and really do something for myself that brings me contentment, I am most likely going to lose it. Tomorrow is another day and with that day I think I will work on dialing it down a few notches, focusing my attention on things that really matter and just chilling out. There is more to life than a clean house right? Absolutely. (I may need to repeat that 100 times every day!) Chill....just chill.

2 comments:

khepworth said...

Love this book! And I got it from you. Thanks!

Becky Nelson said...

You are such an excellent writer! I had no idea. Hang in there and try not to go beserko. ;)