Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My Grandma Would Be So Proud!

My labor of love.

I have been canning alot this year. Probably the most I have ever canned. My Grandma would be so happy to know that I was A: Actually canning something and B: Using her pressure cooker to do it. She was the queen of canning. She canned everything. What I have canned just scratches the surface of what she mass canned. She grew most everything she canned.

I will forever be taken back in time, even if its for a brief moment, whenever I smell certain smells from my child hood. The smell of fresh dill will remind me I'm sure until the day I die of my Grandma. She grew it to can with her dill pickles. I grow it every year just so I can pick off a sprig, inhale its lovely scent and in the blink of an eye travel back to my Grandmothers garden. The only way to time travel in my opinion is through smells. If only I could figure out how to make the trip last longer!

White Peaches

Yellow Peaches on the top and bottom left and apple pie filling on the bottom

Tomatos! These will taste great in the winter in a stew!

Dill Pickles. I use my Grandma's recipie. Delicious....
A little bit of summer packed away to open on a cold winters day....


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow! I am definitely impressed! I wouldn't even know where to begin if I were to can! I think the homemaker gene was left out of my makeup - atleast in the canning department! How are you guys doing? Is Tyler still traveling a lot for work? And. . . are we just not cool enough to be on your friends list? lol

Team Oakeson said...

As always, we are so impressed with you. You're a domestic goddess! We still talk about those dill pickles you brought around in the duplex days. They are amazing!

alysha said...

Not only am I also impressed but I am extremely jealous. You have a huge pantry, and yummy fruit to last you a lifetime.

Heather said...

Holy crap you little Martha you! That is so impressive.....you are my dream girl. I want to be like you, actually I want to be YOU!
Someday teach me how to do this crap.

khepworth said...

Hey canning buddy! That was one sweet pie you made the other night. I devoured it in 2 days! By myself, with a half gallon of ice cream. (yes, i made a trip to the store just to get ice cream for the pie)