Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Flashback To Remember

This post is inspired by Kanani's post about getting busted by someone for leaving her kids in the car for a few minutes alone. After I read her post I remembered this story. Mine happened almost eight years ago but I think its still worth repeating.

There is nothing like a brand new sweet baby, especially when it is your first. I was on such an emotional high after I had Kate. She was such a good baby it seemed to be rainbows and sunshine all the time. Nothing but bliss I tell you, nothing but bliss.
My good friend Brittney and a few other Girls of '94 decided to have a little baby shower for me. I had not seen my friends for a while and was of course thrilled to be able to show off my little 5 pounds of bliss. So I make my way to Britt's apartment complex where the shower was going to be. After driving around for a while and getting nowhere (and at this point I am undoubtedly late) I decide to go back up to the apartment's clubhouse so I can use their phone and hopefully get to my destination!
This is exactly how it happened....
I park my ultra safe car in the closest spot possible next to the clubhouse.
I get out, leaving my angelic sleeping babe in the comfy car, and run (not walk) into the clubhouse.
I call Brittney to get better directions. The whole 45 seconds I was in there my eyes were glued to my parked car 30 feet away.
I run out of the clubhouse and get down to my car when I am approached by a young couple. They ask me, "Is that your baby in the car?"
At this point (wretched ego of mine) I am thinking they are going to give me some kind of compliment about my beautiful baby girl (SLEEPING!!) in the back seat and ask how old she is or something along those lines.
WRONG!
I say to the woman with a broad, sincere smile on my face that yes, she is mine (isn't she so cute?)
Woman: "You should not leave your baby in the car!
Me: My smile is gone at this point and the claws have come out. "I was in there for 45 seconds! She is totally fine. She's ok! "(and still sleeping mind you!)
Woman: "She is not ok!"
Me: "Yes she is! She is sleeping and is just fine. You should mind your own freakin' business and get a life!"

And with that I got in my car and drove to the baby shower where we had a great time. I have to admit I was shaken up a little bit by this strange little confrontation but I am over it now. I wonder if Kate realizes the mortal danger she once faced (according to the couple who were so concerned) and how she is probably so lucky to be alive! Oh my stars....

Kate-One Day Old











5 comments:

Allen Family said...

I love how everyone else is so much better at parenting and not afraid to put us slackers in our place! I would have totally done the same thing. I'm sure I have. I can't believe Kate survived! :-)

Brittney said...

I don't think I ever heard this story. That stinks that the whole "shower" started out that way for you. I'm glad to hear that you were feeling a little better by the end though. :)

khepworth said...

Seriously! It's ok to be concerned but before someone goes off, they should know the whole story. Sheeeesh!

Lisa said...

I need your email so I can re-invite you to view my blog! :)

Becky Nelson said...

O.K So I am guilty of the same thing, now that Taylor is 6. Good thing in Calif. people don't really talk to others. You are a great mom. I would have told the lady off as well.